Skip to main content

Parliamentary debates and questions

S5W-08572: Anas Sarwar (Glasgow)

Scottish Labour

Date lodged: 31 March 2017

To ask the Scottish Government how it protects (a) children and (b) adults from lung conditions related to (i) mould, (ii) damp and (iii) fungus.

Answered by: Kevin Stewart 28 April 2017

NHS Health Protection advice is that vulnerable people, such as the very young and old and those with respiratory or immune conditions should stay away from mould and damp. If they feel they are unavoidably exposed to mould and damp and their symptoms persist, they should consult with medical professionals.

Under the statutory minimum tolerable standard for all housing, homes must be substantially free from rising damp or penetrating damp. Local authorities have a statutory duty to address any housing which falls below the tolerable standard.

People living in rented accommodation should in the first instance report issues with dampness to their landlords. Both social and private landlords have responsibility to ensure the homes their tenants live in are in a good state of repair. My answers to Parliamentary questions S5W-08573 and S5W-08576 on 18 April 2017 also refer.

All answers to written Parliamentary Questions are available on the Parliament's website, the search facility for which can be found at