Skip to main content

Parliamentary debates and questions

S5W-18021: Monica Lennon (Central Scotland)

Scottish Labour

Date lodged: 7 August 2018

To ask the Scottish Government what immediate support is offered to young people people following the death of a family member when the cause of death is associated with alcohol and/or drug misuse.

Answered by: Joe FitzPatrick 21 August 2018

If a child or young person is known to services and has an allocated social worker, there will be on-going support offered, including if specialist support is required. If a child is not known to services, a GP referral with a parent or guardian will ensure that on-going, specialist support can be provided.

Further information on young people bereavement services can be found here:

The Scottish Government is committed to appointing a childhood bereavement coordinator to advise on steps that can be taken to drive forward improvements in bereavement services and support.