Skip to main content

Parliamentary debates and questions

S5W-21928: Carson, Finlay (Galloway and West Dumfries)

Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party

Date lodged: 5 March 2019

To ask the Scottish Government what support it offers to home owners facing what they consider excessive charges for repairs being carried out by (a) registered social landlords and (b) factors.

Answered by: Kevin Stewart 14 March 2019

Home owners are responsible for the cost of work to repair their own homes and for their share of common works in tenements, which may include a share of costs for work determined by a majority of other owners. Local authorities have broad discretionary powers to provide assistance to home owners who have difficulty in paying for repairs, subject to local resources and priorities. Where an owner is unable or unwilling to pay for their share of common works the local authority has discretionary power to pay the missing share, make a charge against the property, and recover it in instalments. A registered social landlord can pay, and recover, a missing share, if they own property in a tenement. The Scottish Government is also currently piloting an equity loan scheme in eight local authority areas, which can be used to help home owners fund repairs.