Date lodged: 15 May 2019
To ask the Scottish Government how it ensures that staff in the social security programme can access appropriate mental health support.
Answered by: Shirley-Anne Somerville 28 May 2019
- mental health awareness
- mental health awareness for managers
- identifying stress and building resilience for managers
- building personal resilience
- handling sensitive conversations with confidence.
There is a rolling series of learning events available to all programme staff including sessions on:-
- People and Advice Wellbeing team (part of SG People Directorate)
- People Advice and Wellbeing Counsellor (part of SG People Directorate)
- Trade Unions
- Mental Health First Aiders
- Mental Health and Wellbeing network
- Charity for Civil Servants
- HR Helpdesk
The EAP is sign posted via our internal intranet pages to all staff and also to new recruits during the Directorate specific induction. Staff are also directed to the following sources of support.
The EAP provides a Health and Wellbeing zone for all staff and family members – including; stress management solutions, health and nutrition advice and access to wellness regimes.
All Programme Management and Delivery staff have access to the Scottish Government Employee Assistance programme (EAP). The programme provides professional support and guidance to those experiencing emotional, practical, health and social problems. Includes support via telephone, face to face and mail and includes one to one counselling services as well as 24 hours a day, 365 days a year access to confidential helplines for all staff.